Check ping wrapper needed to fix check ping plugin?

Edward MacGillivray mac at biviumcorp.com
Thu Feb 3 00:53:12 CET 2005

Hello,

I've had Nagios 1.2 installed and running for several months and checking
quite a few things.  I had recently started to get many notifications about
some of the stuff that was going up and down.  Most of the time these things
were on our local network and would be down for 1 check-interval of time (30
sec as configured now).  So I decided yesterday to try to debug what was
happening.

At first I manually used the check_ping plugin to see what the results it
would give me.  The results I got were about what I expected and below the
warning threshold.  The next thing I did was rename the check_ping plugin and
then create a shell script in its place which would run the original plugin
and record the result in a log file (see below for the script).  So I've had
this script in the works for almost a day and I've yet to see the amount of
flapping that was happening previously.

Additionally, I've had nagiostat setup for about a week and the averages for
the RTA time has dropped significantly (25-50%) with the wrapper as compared
to the unwrapped setup.

So my question is, does anyone have a reason that would cause the "bare"
plugin to behave worse than the "wrapped" plugin?

=============  check_ping ==============
#!/bin/bash

date=$( date );
output=$( /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping-real $* );

RET=$?;

echo "$date: $*: $RET
$output" >> /tmp/check_ping.log;

echo "$output";