possible bug: escalations don't work if state changes

Jeff Williams jeffwilliams05 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 16:22:34 CET 2005

I am using Nagios 2.0b6, but also experienced this issue in 2.0b4.
Nagios escalations do not seem to work when the state changes after a
maximum notifications level has been reached. For example, if a
service hits the warning level, then escalates, and then reaches a
stop level for notifications (5 for example). This is assuming that
the administrator does not acknowledge any of the notifications (not
likely, but happened to us recently). Then after a period of time, the
service moves to the critical level. Nagios, in my opinion, should
then start paging the contact groups specified in the service
definition. After this, it should escalate when necessary. However,
this is not the case. Nagios pages the contacts in the service
definition (oncall,ulsysadmins in the example below) indefinitely
until acknowledged or an OK state is reached. Despite the fact that
the administrator SHOULD have acknowledged the pages, I feel that this
is a bug. However, I may have something set incorrectly in the
configs.

I have included the corresponding config files below.

define service{
        use                           generic-service
        host_name                     test-server
        service_description           /MYSQL
        is_volatile                   0
        check_period                  24x7
        retry_check_interval          1
        contact_groups                oncall,ulsysadmins
        notification_interval         5
        notification_period           24x7
        notification_options          w,u,c,r
        check_command                 check_nrpe!check_disk7
}

define host{
        use                       generic-host
        host_name                 test-server
        alias                     test-server
        address                   192.168.1.1
        parents                   switch-1
        check_command             check-host-alive
        check_interval            4
        notification_interval     0
        notification_period       24x7
        notification_options      d,r
        contact_groups            oncall,ulsysadmins
}

define hostescalation{
        host_name                     test-server
        last_notification             2
        notification_interval         5
        contact_groups                oncall
}
define hostescalation{
        host_name                     test-server
        first_notification            3
        last_notification             4
        notification_interval         5
        contact_groups                oncall,backup
}
define hostescalation{
        host_name                    test-server
        first_notification            5
        last_notification             5
        notification_interval         0
        contact_groups                oncall,backup
}

define serviceescalation{
        host_name                     test-server
        service_description           /MYSQL
        first_notification            2
        last_notification             2
        notification_interval         5
        contact_groups                oncall
}
define serviceescalation{
        host_name                     test-server
        service_description           /MYSQL
        first_notification            3
        last_notification             4
        notification_interval         5
        contact_groups                oncall,backup
}
define serviceescalation{
        host_name                     test-server
        service_description           /MYSQL
        first_notification            5
        last_notification             5
        notification_interval         0
        contact_groups                oncall,backup
}

Please let me know if I need to include more information. Thanks in advance.

Jeff