Cluster Drive Questions

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Fri Dec 2 22:38:00 CET 2005

In message <56FB69819290E143870CF1073BA7AA7910639D5A at RL2KEXCH1.replacements.com
"Timothy Washburn" writes:

>We have several Windows 2000 File and Print clusters.  We would like to
>monitor the disk space on each of the cluster drives and have it go into
>warning and critical states as the space gets low.  The problem we have
>is that the drives are only owned by one of the cluster nodes at a time
>and therefore can only be checked against one of the nodes.  Has anyone
>implmented something similiar to this or does anyone have any thoughts
>on how to make this possible?  We are using Nagios 1.2.

Hmm this would be easier with nagios 2 as you could access the current data
more easily.

What I would do is create 4 services:

  cluster disk check  on host1, host2, host3 and host4.

set them up to not notify. The plugin should return ok (maybe with a
message, "cluster disk not connected") or unknown depending on the way
you check the 4 services.

Then on the nagios box create a service:

  correlate cluster disk check

and write a plugin that acts like check_cluster but requires three
unknown and 1 non unknown status. Return the non-unknown status:
E.G. warning returns warning. If you get more than 1 unknown status
throw up some other error. If you get no "known" status, throw an
error.

If your plugin exits with an OK status on a non-connected cluster
drives then I think you can use check_cluster directly.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard