Cluster Drive Questions

Az az at whoever.org
Sun Dec 4 00:31:36 CET 2005

Timothy Washburn wrote:

> We have several Windows 2000 File and Print clusters.  We would like
> to monitor the disk space on each of the cluster drives and have it go
> into warning and critical states as the space gets low.  The problem
> we have is that the drives are only owned by one of the cluster nodes
> at a time and therefore can only be checked against one of the nodes.
> Has anyone implmented something similiar to this or does anyone have
> any thoughts on how to make this possible?  We are using Nagios 1.2.

There's probably 100 ways to skin this cat. The way we've done these
sorts of setups in v1.2/1.3 are...

* A host definition for each physical cluster node (eg ahost01a,
ahost01b...)
* Add the usual suspects for service checks to each physical (eg local
disk, cpu, memory, swap...).
* A host definition for the virtual node(s) in the cluster (eg
ahost01-print, ahost01-file...).
* Add the clustered service checks to the virtuals, including a
check_cluster one as well (eg only the disks/Windows service checks that
relate to that clustered service).

This would only work if you have a separate service IP for each of the
virtuals.

Cheers.