Problem using snpp.pl for notifications

Chris Wilson chris at aidworld.org
Tue Aug 30 15:04:31 CEST 2005

Hi Dave,

> So using the embedded perl is *least expensive* ?

Well, less expensive than starting a new Perl interpreter. I'm not sure
how it compares to Nagios forking a new process for Quickpage. Depending
on the platform, and the Perl script, it might be more or less
expensive.

> What about Quickpage versus Sendpage? Quickpage is compiled C program
> and Sendpage is perl. Would embedded perl calling Quickpage be *less
> expensive* than using Sendpage with /usr/bin/perl ?

Why would you want embedded perl to call Quickpage?

Nagios can start Quickpage directly, just like any other C program.
Nagios normally forks processes for notifications (and service checks).

The embedded Perl interpreter, EPN, is a way to avoid that overhead, and
the Perl interpreter startup overhead, in the case that the
notification/service check command is a Perl script. As far as I know,
it does nothing else.

The EPN is disabled by default, at least in 1.x; maybe this changed in
2.x. It seems that your Nagios is built with EPN enabled, and this has
bitten you.

You could recompile Nagios with EPN disabled if it doesn't do what you
want, or you don't want to take the risk of badly written plugins taking
down the whole of Nagios.

Cheers, Chris.
--
(aidworld) chris wilson | chief engineer (chris at aidworld.org)