Problem using snpp.pl for notifications

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Aug 30 14:19:44 CEST 2005

Dave Augustus wrote:
> Thanks Patrick for the information. A small light bulb has just appeared
> above my head. :)
>

> So using the embedded perl is *least expensive* ?
>
> What about Quickpage versus Sendpage? Quickpage is compiled C program
> and Sendpage is perl. Would embedded perl calling Quickpage be *less
> expensive* than using Sendpage with /usr/bin/perl ?

Naturally. Running compiled code is always a lot faster than running a
script. The embedded perl interpreter compiles the (perl) script the
first time it's run and then caches the compiled version of it in
memory, making it a lot faster to call again later. A much larger
benefit can be made by removing the -wT switches that are in some of the
hashbang lines. Perl compiles its script ridiculously slow when those
are enabled (typically 5 times slower).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer