Monitoring a matrix of load-balanced VirtualHosts?

JB Segal jailbait at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 22:08:52 CEST 2005

Hi. I've searched through the archives, the nagiosexchange site, and
google in general, but have yet to find a satisfactory answer to this:

I'm running (ok, my employer is running and has been for a while now)
1.2, talking to a variety of machines running various vintages of
RedHat and various versions of nrpe and the plugins package.

I have a series of web servers - call them A, B and C - which are
running apache, which is serving a variety of VirtualHosts - let's
call them foo.com, bar.com and baz.com.

Each machine responds to both www.(foo|bar|baz).com and
{hostname}.(foo|bar|baz).com (say: A.foo.com)

I need to check each server for the aliveness of each VHost.

I really am not sure how best to do this. Ok, I'm not really sure how
to do this in any sort of clean fashion.

I would expect this to be a common need, but I seem to be wrong.

Help, Advice, Pointers to things I missed in TFM, etc. all welcome.

I'll summarize my findings to the list.

I'm also reachable via gtalk at this addres.

Thanks!
JB