passive host checking

Lori Adams ladams at cloudmark.com
Thu Aug 25 20:02:20 CEST 2005

Bill,

I think you're a little bit confused.  nrpe is an active check.  On your
nagios machine, you would call
check_nrpe -H <remote machine with nrpe_nt on it> -c <some command>
(see nrpe.cfg).
nrpe_nt will run the program listed in nrpe.cfg, and the results will
come back through nrpe to your nagios machine.

send_nsca works differently.  nsca runs some program that you've defined
(nsca.cfg) on your remote machine, and pushes that data to the nagios
server.  nagios does not submit the request to your remote machine, it
only collects the data.  Check the documentation for nrpe and nsca.
Then decide which one it is you want.  In my specific case, I had to go
with nrpe, as we didn't want any of our remote machines to push data.

short story:  nrpe pulls data, nsca pushes data.  Read the docs.

-Lori