Notification clarification

Dennis Hopp dhopp at GOCSC.com
Thu Aug 25 19:26:56 CEST 2005

I've got nagios monitoring different aspects of our servers (CPU, disk,
etc.).  For ease of administration I have a service that looks like
this:

define  service{
        hostgroup_name                  WindowsServers, WindowsXP
        service_description             CPU
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    Non-Backup-Hours
        max_check_attempts              5
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            3
        contact_groups                  domain-admins
        check_command                   check_win_cpu!80!90
}

The hostgroups have a number of servers providing all sorts of different
services.

I'm going to add a new contactgroup for our dbas but I ONLY want to
notify the dbas for services that affect their servers (they don't need
to know that the CPU on our internal jabber server is spiking)...

What I want to know is if I add the db-admin group to the contact_groups
for the CPU service, will the db-admin group get ALL notifications
regarding ANY servers CPU usage or will they only get a message
regarding the CPU usage of hosts (in the host definition) they are
listed as a contact?

I've read the notification part of the documentation and it is a little
unclear on this.

Thanks

--Dennis

*
	"Privileged/Confidential Information of Communications Supply
Corp. may be contained in this message.  If you are not the addressee of
this message, you may not copy, use or deliver this message to anyone.
In such event, you should destroy the message and kindly notify the
sender by reply e-mail.  It is understood that opinions or conclusions
that do not relate to the official business of Communications Supply
Corp. are neither given nor endorsed by Communications Supply Corp."