check_icmp behavior

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Aug 24 20:26:52 CEST 2005

Horvath Tamas wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The plugin output of "ICMP Unreachable" reply is OK. May I suggest to change
> check_icmp behavior to mark this kind of output as WARNING.

This isn't a good idea, as ICMP_UNREACH messages indicate that the host
really can't be reached. Any and all threshold values will be passed
when no responses are received.

> In which situation do I got this kind of reply? As I googled in Internet,
> the cause can be:
> - too busy router,
> - fragment needed, but don't fragment bit set.

Not true. Too busy router would result in too high response times (or
lost packets), while fragment needed but no fragment bit set would cause
a very specific icmp error message. check_icmp can't trigger "fragment
needed" errors, because the packets it sends are within the lowest
acceptable boundary for non-fragmented packets (64 bytes).

> I could not find those simptoms in my network. But about half of my
>

> My version of check_icmp plugin is:
>
> /opt/nagios/libexec/check_icmp -v
> check_icmp: Version 0.8.1 $Date: 2004/09/07 09:29:29 $

The latest modifications were made 2005-06-16. I believe one of the
things I added was forced packet interval when one of the packets
return, and a continuous trying (until packets_sent == packets_to_send
at least) even if an icmp error is received.

Try the check_icmp delivered in the package at
http://oss.op5.se/nagios/op5plugins-2005-08-22.tar.gz and see if that
works better for you. It might, but I'm not sure. If it doesn't, try
sniffing the net with some capable sniffer when things go sour for you
and let me know what you find.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer