NSCA and Performance data

John Stevens jstevensog at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 07:05:24 CEST 2005

Hi All,
Something I have not gleaned from the docs, and was wondering if you
can help me out with.  Apologies if it is an obvious one.

We are currently using a Performance data collection system at my new
employer that stores performance data local to the each host,
transfers that data to a central host and then trends it there.  I am
currently assisting with a project to unify several monitoring systems
into a single one (Nagios).  I have used add-ons in the past to
process adn display performance data in Nagios, but if teh Nagios host
goes down, or the network is interrupted between a client and Nagios
hosts, performance data is lost.

Now, just for a minute, ignore the obvious "well, if the nagios host
or network is down you have more important things to worry about than
performance data" argument, and assume that someone thinks it is
vitally important to continue that functionality that they have now.
Particularly as they can often live for several days without nework
connectivity between areas of the network, for various reasons.

Can a host running nsca store all the status check results and forward
them to the nagios server when it is available again, and does that
mean that the performance data would then be processed in some sort of
sequential way?  Would you then consider it appropriate to use nsca on
all client machines for the purpose of gathering local host
performance data, and utilise active external checks on the Nagios
server to keep an eye on it?  Or would you utilise some other method
(like stitching the current mechanism into nagios)?

Any informed/experienced thoughts would be appreciated.  Insults and
flames duly trashed and ignored ;-)
Regards