Internet Detection

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Aug 16 09:28:47 CEST 2005

Miles Scruggs wrote:
> I know this has been brought up before, but the closest thing I can find to
> a solution is:
>

> https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9893860
>
> which is fairly simple in concept that most would have come to the same
> conclusion on their own.  What I'm wondering is how to implement something
> like this?

Don't. Downloading content from webservers automatically for your own
purposes isn't very polite.

Instead, you can use the check_icmp plugin in check_host mode and give
it several hostnames to well-known sites, like so;

ln -s check_icmp check_host
time ./check_host www.google.com www.dell.com www.nasa.gov
www.whitehouse.gov
OK - www.google.com responds to ICMP. Packet 1, rtt 48.630ms
|pkt=1;0;0;0;5 rta=48.630;2000.000;2000.000;;

real    0m0.170s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s

Pinging nasa.gov and whitehouse.gov is not in any way stupid or
dangerous; all icmp requests to those addresses are being redirected to
a loadbalanced cluster and they both have 100GB lines directly connected
to their own GIX so there's no need to worry about stealing bandwidth
(at least not with a couple of 64-byte packets). They've got plenty.

> Does anyone have a version of their own custom plugin to share?

check_icmp is in the standard plugin distribution. The latest version is
also also always available from http://oss.op5.se/nagios

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer