Passive service checks via NSCA and requir ed check command defini tion

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Tue Aug 9 14:37:48 CEST 2005

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de writes:

> Though it might not be perfect and a catch-all,
> I think running check_procs on important daemons is yet better
> than nothing.

I use it to check crond is running.  And on some boxes to check that
hylafax is running and that the number of faxgetty processes matches the
number of fax ports on the box.  These aren't perfect tests because the
processes could be present but not doing what they should.  But it's
better than no test at all.

> As a Nagios newbie I haven't yet thought about writing
> supplementary documentation.
> But I will be doing so for my colleagues at my working place.
> Maybe if it is of any use to them I later can submit it to Nagios
> Exchange.

That sounds good to me.  The existing docs do give the information you
need but for your particular scenario you have to read and understand
a lot of pages.  A simple HOWTO might be useful to a lot of people in
a similar situation to you.

> I discovered what you were mentioning last time as staleness
> checking, i.e. freshness checking.

Stale = !fresh. :)

> Now I think I'm set and done with this service.
> Or do you see any still controversial settings?

I see the sort of things I'd expect.  Since I'm still on the 1.x release
I can't say for sure that it's correct, but it looks a lot better than it
did. :)

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support