nrpe_nt versus nsclient versus nsclient++

Frederik Vanhee frederik.vanhee at perso.be
Sun Aug 7 22:03:42 CEST 2005

Lori Adams wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I’m curious about people’s opinions regarding nrpe_nt, nsclient, and
> nsclient++. I’m interested in advantages or disadvantages of using one
> and not the other. I’ll be using these on Windows 2000 servers.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lori

In the future, I want to do some monitoring on windows hosts. Therefore,
I do some testing on 2 windows-boxes. One with nrpe_nt and nsclient and
the other with nsclient++. One big advantage of nsclient++ is the fact
that it replaces nrpe_nt and nsclient, so you don't need to manage two
programs and two config-files.
I had some compatibility issues with nsclient++ first (on old NT-boxes),
but the developer, Michael Medin, is very helpful in case of a problem
and fixes the program as soon as possible. The current version of
nsclient++ works very well AND has performance data ! (which interests me).

Frederik