Checking of multicasts

Joop Jansen joop3 at gmx.net
Tue Aug 2 17:28:39 CEST 2005

Following setup:

We are using a network in a multicast setup.

This means that there are several remote sites under a multicast.
(remotes with inbound connection, and one outbound towards all the remotes).

I also would like to monitor the multicast itself, so to receive a
notification
when the whole multicast goes down.

I was thinking to use check_icmp to ping all the remotes of that multicast.
However check_icmp has three ways to operate (check_host/check_icmp and
check_all).

Check_host would be perfect, only I need to have the opposite. So It should
send
one icmp packet to all the remotes, and only return to the state critical
when all the remotes are not reachable.

The check_host just returnes critical when already one site is down.

Does someone has done something similar?

Or is using a different approach?

Thanks in advance

Joop