Multiple Nagios instances on one server

Scott Greenman greenmanse at ldschurch.org
Mon Aug 1 17:46:30 CEST 2005

We have several different sets of machines that we are monitoring.
 Right now we have one instance of Nagios running that monitors
 all of the machines. This makes it difficult to focus on any one
 group of machines.

I have set up nagios hostgroups for each set of machines, which
 helps, but what I would really like is to have a different nagios
 web site for each group of machines, all run off the same server.

Has anyone done something like this?

I can think of several ways it might work, but don't know about
 the feasability. It's not clear how the CGIs locate the cgi.cfg
 file - I guess I'll need to look at the source.

Ideally, there would be only one instance of Nagios running that
 monitored everything (with a corresponding set of .cfg files that
 included everything.) Then there would be multiple copies of the
 cgi.cfg, each that pointed to a different set of .cfg files that
 contained a subset of hosts.

If there is no way to get something like that working, I could always
 set up multiple instances of nagios running, each monitoring a
 subset of hosts and having its own set of cgis.

Ultimately, I want to avoid having to have multiple copies of files
 on the nagios server. I don't want to just copy the entire nagios
 directory for each instance, but have them share the files that
 don't need to differ for each instance.

I'm going to do some experimentation, but if anyone has gone down
 this road before and can save me some time I'd much appreciate
 the help.

Thanks

- Scott Greenman (sgreenman)

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/nagios-users.34.0.html