DHCP client configuration

Chris Wilson chris at aidworld.org
Mon Aug 1 15:40:19 CEST 2005

Hi Clement,

You want to monitor machines which get their IP addresses from DHCP?
Can you explain why you would want to do this?

Normally Nagios is used to monitor servers and their services. Normally,
servers do not have dynamic IP addresses, as it would make it very hard
for people to use their services. (I know that SMB and Rendezvous can
work around dynamic IP addresses, but not all services can, and there
are limitations as well).

There doesn't seem to be a lot of point in monitoring someone's laptop
or a machine that dual-boots between Windows and Linux. What services
are you looking to monitor on such a machine? Do you really want an
alarm when someone switches off their PC to go home in the evening?

Are you sure that it's really worth it? Why not just define static IP
addresses for your servers, and let the clients monitor themselves?

> I could use the /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases to get IPs and hostnames, but
> can't change the configuration of nagios automatically, can I?

You could have your plugins get the IP address dynamically from
/var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases, but what do you do when the lease expires?

> Can I define a host with two ip addresses? (and how could I do that?)

I don't think you can. but you can define two separate hosts, and make
one the parent of the other to avoid duplicate host down notifications.

Cheers, Chris.
--
(aidworld) chris wilson | chief engineer (chris at aidworld.org)