NSCA forking problem

Frederik Vanhee frederik.vanhee at perso.be
Fri Apr 29 10:44:51 CEST 2005

Hello,

I'm using Nagios 2b2 and NSCA 2.4 on a Suse Linux 8.2
I have a setup where most host and service checks are done by
distributed servers and all arive at the central Nagios server, where
NSCA is running to accept these check results. (Let's say, 20
distributed servers, checking 100 services each)

When I have a look in the program list 'ps -ef', I see that there are
about 500 instances of NSCA running. When I restart NSCA, the amount of
instances grows quite quick again to about 500.

Is this normal behaviour ? Because I get in trouble having not enough
processes available (cannot fork....), so I can tweak kernel parameters
to temporarely solve my problem but I would rather like NSCA opening not
so many child processes.

Thanks for any hints,

Frederik