getting a ps error when trying to start

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Apr 22 17:57:59 CEST 2005

That is not how I suggested you try to run nagios. Of course you can't just call 'nagios' from the command line as it takes arguments and clearly isn't in your path. My suggestion again was to run '/path/to/nagios -d /path/to nagios.cfg'. In a standard install that would translate to '/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg'. Do that as the nagios user. There's no reason it shouldn't work unless you have made an error somewhere, most likely in your config files. Then you would want to run '/usr/local/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg' to verify your config files.

--
Marc