check_nrpe misbehaving?

schnitzel meister schnitzelmeister at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 11:34:17 CEST 2005

Hello again,
Thanks for your previous help, maybe you can help me again?

I'm having some trouble with check_mailq returning the wrong return
code - but only when running over check_nrpe.

To find out why, I ran the plugin on both the mail server and the
nagios server from the command line.

On the mail server, I have:
 while true; do
  /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_mailq -w 50 -c 100
  echo "Return: $?";
  sleep 5;
 done

and on the nagios box I have:
 while true; do
  /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -n -H ip.goes.here -c check_mailq1;
  echo "Return: $?";
  sleep 5;
 done

The mail server ALWAYS returns an "OK: mailq empty message", return code 3.
check_nrpe on the nagios box also always returns an "OK: mailq empty
message", but 20% of the time has a return code of 0.

Any ideas?