Almost there please assist...(check_ping) new install

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Apr 14 00:16:57 CEST 2005

new
> install
>
> SG,
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply.  I now have what uopu suggested in  my
> hosts.cfg  file.    IE:
>
> define host{
>         host_name                       nagios_server
>         alias                           nagios server
>         address                         localhost
>         check_command                   check_myhost!200,20%!300,30%!5
>         max_check_attempts              5
>         process_perf_data               0
>         retain_nonstatus_information    0
>         contact_groups                  router-admins
>         notification_interval           30
>         notification_period             24x7
>         notification_options            d,u,r
>         }
>
> define command{
>         command_name    check_myhost
>         command_line    /space/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H 127.0.0.1
-w
> $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p $
> ARG3$
>         }
>
> However, still shows down.  Both the gui and log file show a message
> stating:
>
> [1113429048] HOST NOTIFICATION: nagiosadmin;nagios_server;DOWN;host-
> notify-by-email;wpl (90) cannot be larger than cpl (60)

There's a disconnect somewhere. Nagios believes that your warning packet
loss percent is set to 90 and your critical packet loss percent is set
to 60. Did you use those values previously?

> Running manuall from the command line, I get :
>
> [root at devupsilon01] # ./check_ping -H localhost -w 200,20% -c 300,30%
-p 5
> PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 0.00 ms
> [root at devupsilon01] #

Good test but you should always test plugins as the nagios user.

> Questions:
>     Why is the gui showing down?

Nagios seems to be using old and incorrect information.

>     Is there a log file that indicates each time a check command is
ran
> rather than just the notification ?

Running nagios with the -c -s parameters may show that information but I
haven't used them before. They may just show initial scheduling only --

  -s   Shows projected/recommended service check scheduling information
       based on the current data in the configuration files.

  -c   When used in conjunction with the -s option, this option will
cause
       the status data to be updated with scheduling information.  It is
       not recommended that you use this option while Nagios is running,
as
       the information in the status log will be temporarily
overwritten.
       Provided as an aid to help you understand initial check
scheduling.

>     Does the nagios Process have to be restarted if I make changes to
any
> config files?

Restarted or HUP'd. Be aware that if you have state retention enabled
certain configuration options will not be re-read from the config files.
See the retention notes
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html for more
information. check_command isn't one of those however.

--
Marc