Almost there please assist...(check_ping) new install

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Apr 14 01:36:57 CEST 2005

new
> install
>
> Marc,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I did make two changes in my main config.
There
> are several retention parameters, I chose to change these two:
>
> retain_state_information=0
> use_retained_program_state=0
>
> Once changed and restarted my localhost check_ping came back green!
> However, previous to that I added another host with an IP and it
> consistently states "pending".
> Both servers work from the command line as the nagios user.  I do not
see
> a basic parameter that states how often to check .  Seems that would
need
> to be obvious somewhere.

As stated in one of my last emails, Nagios only checks hosts when a
service on that host fails. The inference was that every host _must_
have at least one service defined for it or it will never be checked.
That's why your host is always pending. I don't know what you did
previously to get your other host to report OK.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/checkscheduling.html#host_checks

> Also, if a host is already defined may I add mutliple  command_check
lines
> to that definition?

No. You're probably wanting to add service definitions associated with
that host.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html#service

> Please forgive me for emailing directly to you.  I think Im only a few
> simple questions away from configing the night away!!

You should always send to the list. That way if someone in the future
has the same questions as you they can search the archives and find the
answers themselves (as you might want to do). The documentation for
Nagios is really excellent as well.

--
Marc