Setting up a passive check problem

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Apr 12 20:31:06 CEST 2005

This means that when you submit an entry to the command file, there must
be a matching host_name and service_description that nagios already
knows about or it will be ignored.

> What "check_command" does a passive service "need"? (it needs a
> command???) I don't want nagios to _DO_ anything, just accept the
> passive results from another process.
>
> When I tried to leave a check_command out, nagios complains "... check
> command is NULL"

As you can see, there must be one defined. What it is depends on if
you're going to be using active checks or freshness checking or not. If
you are going to be using them then the command must be valid as nagios
will actively execute it to determine the state of the service at the
expiration of the freshness interval.

If you are not using freshness checking than the command can be anything
you like. I use the same command that is executed on my distributed
servers for consistency but it could be check_dummy or any other command
as it will never actually be run.

> services.cfg:
> define service{
>         use                               linux-service
>         name                            ibm_disk_array_status
>         service_description             ibm_disk_array_status
>         active_checks_enabled           0
>         passive_checks_enabled          1
>         check_command                   check_passive_disklog
>         register                        0
>         }
>
> commands.cfg:
> # 'ibm_disk_array_status' command definition
> define command{
> command_name    check_passive_disklog
> command_line    $USER1$/check_passive_disklog
>         }
>
> hosts.cfg:
> define service{
>      use           ibm_disk_array_status
>      host_name     fs004,fs005,fs006,fs007,fs008
> }

I haven't used this type of construct personally but it looks fine.

> Can someone point out where I'm going wrong to simply allow a service
> status to be accepted passively, please.

Instead of making an assumption about what your problem is, why don't
you tell us the symptoms and error messages that you are seeing?

--
Marc