Setting up a passive check problem

Lewis Getschel lgetschel at denver.westerngeco.slb.com
Tue Apr 12 18:42:08 CEST 2005

All-
    After 8 months of tweaking our 1.2 system with active checks (that
work fine), I now find myself at a loss to setup a passive "service check".

I have 5 file servers in a "farm" that log themselves to a single syslog
file.
I wrote a script that deals with that and can submit the passive result
to Nagios to be processed.

My problem _seems_ to be my understanding of the basic setup for a
passive service check.
The docs say: "...service checks to Nagios, a service must have already
been defined in the object configuration file
<http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/configobject.html>"

What "check_command" does a passive service "need"? (it needs a
command???) I don't want nagios to _DO_ anything, just accept the
passive results from another process.

When I tried to leave a check_command out, nagios complains "... check
command is NULL"

services.cfg:
define service{
        use                               linux-service
        name                            ibm_disk_array_status
        service_description             ibm_disk_array_status
        active_checks_enabled           0
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        check_command                   check_passive_disklog
        register                        0
        }

commands.cfg:
# 'ibm_disk_array_status' command definition
define command{
command_name    check_passive_disklog
command_line    $USER1$/check_passive_disklog
        }

hosts.cfg:
define service{
     use           ibm_disk_array_status
     host_name     fs004,fs005,fs006,fs007,fs008
}

Can someone point out where I'm going wrong to simply allow a service
status to be accepted passively, please.
Thanks,
Lewis

--
Lewis Getschel             | Today is done...
WesternGeco                |     Today was fun...