Setting up a passive check problem

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Tue Apr 12 21:10:32 CEST 2005

Lewis-

Lewis Getschel wrote:

> All-
>    After 8 months of tweaking our 1.2 system with active checks (that
> work fine), I now find myself at a loss to setup a passive "service check".

That's bad. Let's see if we can fix that...

> My problem _seems_ to be my understanding of the basic setup for a
> passive service check.
> The docs say: "...service checks to Nagios, a service must have already
> been defined in the object configuration file
> <http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/configobject.html>"
>
> What "check_command" does a passive service "need"? (it needs a
> command???) I don't want nagios to _DO_ anything, just accept the
> passive results from another process.

No, even if you don't know it yet, you want nagios to do something.

A useful setup takes passive checks which typically report ok status.The
active check commands return error status. They are executed when the
passive check results get stale. Without an active check producing an
error you would never be notified of stale passive check results, which
in turn means you wouldn't need nagios at all :-)

Of course, you disable active service checking.

Details are in the manual.

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de