Nagios calling out to somewhere - Addon

Brian Roy mister.roy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 00:35:23 CEST 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 4:55 PM, Hendrik Boomer Baecker <b00mer at gmx.net> wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson schrieb:
>
> AFAIK there are components which are reading some textfiles, push them
> through a couple of OpenSource tools to get an wav optimised for 64kbit
> ISDN and puts them through vgetty (i think) to a voicemodem.

What you need is Asterisk.
http://www.asterisk.org
or better yet
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk

Now, that being said, I'm an active contributer to the Asterisk
project. Most of my need for Nagios was actually to use it to monitor
my Asterisk applications and installations. I often thought that I
would take on the project of making Asterisk a notification arm to
Nagios. It's really not that difficult and could probably be done with
minimal effort.

As for text to speech there are two open source (well one officially)
that are widely used in the Asterisk world.

Festival
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+festival+installation
http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

and Cepstral (My personal favorite, but there is a nominal cost with
licensing voices)

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Cepstral
http://www.cepstral.com/

There are other crossovers (Nagios/Asterisk)
developers/maintainers/users that would probably contribute to the
project. One that I am familiar with is RoyK (irc nick on freenode).
He developed the Asterisk monitor plugin for Nagios. I'm sure we could
talk him into helping with the project.

Bottom line is, if you want to take this on with Asterisk, I think
that you would find a lot of support from the Asterisk development
world.

Catch me on IRC some time and we can discuss further. nick == Chuji

-Brian