Unexpected trends reports

Edgar Shine eshine at mcosta.eng.br
Thu Apr 7 23:26:40 CEST 2005

Greetings,

I´m using Nagios (2.0b2) to monitor remote radios (about 300 devices)
using ping plugin. It´s working fine, but this morning I´ve been notice
by my NOC about an enexpected behavior. Sometimes, NOC collects trend
reports for statistics purposes and they verified that trend reports
didn´t reflect the real service downtime from a device.

Digging a little, I found these lines about the polled device:
---begin---
[1112890437] SERVICE ALERT:
tajuras_comercial;PING;CRITICAL;HARD;1;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after
10 seconds
[1112890678] SERVICE ALERT: tajuras_comercial;PING;WARNING;SOFT;1;PING
WARNING - Packet loss = 40%, RTA = 25.30 ms
[1112890737] SERVICE ALERT: tajuras_comercial;PING;OK;SOFT;2;PING OK -
Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 29.40 ms
[1112898887] INITIAL SERVICE STATE:
tajuras_comercial;PING;OK;HARD;1;PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 35.50 ms
--eof---

Apparently, we had a situation where this device have entered in a
CRITICAL HARD state and after a SOFT recovery the hard state remain in a
critical state (for trend report, monitor pages show OK state) until
another hard state change (e.g. a Nagios restart).

I´ll really appreciate any help or advice about this issue.
TIA for your time and understanding (I know, my english is terrible...).

rgds,
Edgar Shine