Nagios calling out to somewhere - Addon

Hendrik "Boomer" Baecker b00mer at gmx.net
Fri Apr 8 23:55:40 CEST 2005

Andreas Ericsson schrieb:

> Hendrik Baecker wrote:
>
>> Hi Lists,
>>
>> a collegue of mine and myself just working with Nagios 2.02b and want
>> that the Nagios Server is able to dial a Telephonenumber and do some
>> text2speech to some user a la: HOST has a Problem with SERVICE.
>> Please check.
>>
>> Until now we are using such a kind of notification to call out our
>> "Emergency" Standby Admins on their mobilephone to annoy them in the
>> middle of the night to check Critical Services with a pre-spoken text.
>>
>> Now we want the mentionend text 2 speech for better
>> Speech-Notifications.
>>
>> My question: Is there anybody out there who is doing something like
>> this or could it be interesting for someone?
>>
>> I guess it would not be the Problem to write a detailed documentation
>> how to set up this construct.
>>
>> Answers like "Great Idea, give it to us" or "Go away and live your
>> f.... live" would be nice ;)
>>

> Great idea! Post it http://www.nagiosexchange.org.

Ok, but I need some time. My collegue who is working on this stuff is a
little bit of a perfectionist. Have to screw him down and write some
usefull documentation.

AFAIK there are components which are reading some textfiles, push them
through a couple of OpenSource tools to get an wav optimised for 64kbit
ISDN and puts them through vgetty (i think) to a voicemodem.

I really don't know what to be done but we can write some detailed
things about this kind of "magic" we are doing on our system with a
(german) FritzAVM Pci Card on an euro-isdn.

I think it should be easy to shrink the outgoing wav-files to whatever
you need to get a good voice and the interface to drop this wavs to a
modem should be a little bit configuration.
We will see....

Next week my collegue is at his holidays for one week, I think one more
week after he comes back we can work on a howto.

Can someone tell us what we have to mention about the different licences
of the two or three tools you need to use for? Or is it ok when we just
say that everyone has to read the different licences for himself?

Greetings
Hendrik