Running java plugins in nagios

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Tue Sep 7 19:45:15 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 03:03, Thomas Schimpke wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is somebody on the list, who has some experience with running java
> plugins in nagios ? The technical integration is not the problem, but
> I'm having concerns about the java overhead (loading the VM,...). My
> fear is, that my monitoring server will simply be overloaded as soon, as
> there are some 10 java based checks running.

Have you considered turning your java plugin into a daemon that runs on
the nagios server, does its own polling of SAP, then writes the results
as passive checks.  This way you'd only ever have on java VM running,
and you'd rarely have to launch it.

You could even expand that by turning on freshness checking and have the
check script for that be something that actually starts the java daemon
back up if it exited for any reason.  Although you'd want to use a
lockfile if you did that so you'd never get multiple copies of the
daemon running at once.