Cisco interfaces

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Fri Oct 29 04:37:46 CEST 2004

I'm sure this has been asked and answered a million times. I've looked =
through the archives and I've only found some circular answers, feel =
free to point me to something specific in the archive.

I want to monitor the throughput on a cisco router. I then want to throw =
the numbers into RRDTool and link the graph into Nagios with nagiostat. =
I'm doing this right now with check_iftraffic.pl, but it's giving us =
quite a different answer than MRTG has been - off by one order of =
magnitude. After nearly 24 hours of RRD and Nagiostat, it's a bit late =
for me to troubleshoot that, but  so far I believe MRTG has the right =
answers, so...

Rather than letting check_iftraffic.pl do the math and all that, what's =
the easiest way to grab the raw inoctects and outoctets in (hopefully) =
one fell swoop, so that concurrent checks of throughput can be made? I =
know I can do this with two different check_snmp commands, but then I =
get a time drift between the two commands. I was looking for some check =
command someone might have built that can query multiple OIDs and return =
the values in an easy to understand format, as well as any =
RRDtool/nagiostat config examples you might have.

We've got 7 interfaces and I'd rather have 7 services than 14 (7 in, 7 =
out). I either can't find it, or I can't recognize it when it's under my =
nose. Which I'm sure has nothing to do with beating my head against this =
problem for 24 hours, nothing at all! :)

Thanks,

Rob Nelson