Memory size question on a single nagios process

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 8 06:55:14 CEST 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Gilles POIRET wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for the same kind of tips :
> I've a P4 2.8GHz, dual-proc/hyperthreading, 512 Mo RAM, 2 Go swap, and
> near than 4000 services on 300 hosts. (embedded-perl snmp checks + rrd
> bases access in most of the case)
>
> and i have trouble with performances :
> - average check latency is  20min
> - swap is almost full,
> - interface web is slow..

The first thing I would do is add more real RAM, at least another 512 MB
to bring it to 1 GB.  Also, 2 GB swap seems large to me for this type of
system but that's not a big deal.

I know from my configuration that running with embedded perl will cause
the Nagios process to leak memory.  I have combatted this leak with a
weekly Nagios restart from cron.

Finally, with 4k services, the best thing you could do would be to setup a
Distributed Nagios configuration.  Configure say two boxes to do the
actual active checks then have those two send service status to a Central
Nagios using nsca.  This will dramatically reduce your latency and improve
your web front end performance.  You might also consider the chained hash
patch which has been floating around.

Good luck.
Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com