Memory size question on a single nagios process

Gilles POIRET gpoiret at altern.org
Thu Oct 7 22:28:16 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm looking for the same kind of tips :
I've a P4 2.8GHz, dual-proc/hyperthreading, 512 Mo RAM, 2 Go swap, and
near than 4000 services on 300 hosts. (embedded-perl snmp checks + rrd
bases access in most of the case)

and i have trouble with performances :
- average check latency is  20min
- swap is almost full,
- interface web is slow..

Well, after tuning, CPU is now ok (thanks to  max_concurrent_check=350)
use, but latency is always too important ; same thing for swap usage
problem.

Any idea to improve things will be apreciated..

Thanks.
Regards,
--
 Gilles POIRET

"Platt, Nicholas" <Nick.Platt at myflorida.com>
Sent by: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
21/04/2004 16:34

        To:     "'nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net'"
<nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
        cc:     "Tedder, Brandon" <btedder at bearingpoint.net>, "Radcliffe,
David" <david.radcliffe at myflorida.com>, "Chelette, Robert"
<robert.chelette at myflorida.com>
        Subject:        [Nagios-users] Memory size question on a single
nagios process

Hello everyone:

I've been working on tuning our production server running Nagios which
monitors currently 1500 services and will eventually monitor 5000.  I was
able to lower the CPU spikes and keep Linux from swapping by lowering the
max_concurrent_check=325 and command_check_interval=2 based on the formula
depicted in the documentation.   We are currently monitoring the latest
check time to the earliest check time and we are find that it is an
average of 8-10 minutes which currently is not acceptable.   Any
recommendations on minimizing that time would be appreciated.

Linux System:  P4 2.8 Ghz with 768 RAM

My second question has to do with why individual Nagios check processes
take up 3172KB of memory.  That's a lot in my opinion especially if you
multiple that times the number of checks.  Is there an explanation?  Can
it be lowered?  See attachment.

Thanks