hostgroup_name in services definition halts nagios start

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Wed Oct 6 20:46:43 CEST 2004

nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg results in

Error: Service description, host name, or check command is NULL
Error: Could not register service (config file '/etc/nagios/services.cfg',
line 36)

Line 36 and following 16 following lines:

define service{

 hostgroup_name   switches,windows-boxes,security-boxes
; host_name   iprism,shaper,sarah,ruth,rachel,penguin,noah
 service_description        PING
 is_volatile                     0
 check_period                    24x7
 max_check_attempts              3
 normal_check_interval           3
 retry_check_interval            1
 contact_groups                  admins
 notification_interval           120
 notification_period             24x7
 notification_options            w,u,c,r
 check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
 }

It looks to me like everything is filled in. If I comment out
hostgroup_name and uncomment host_name it works fine. I'd rather go by
hostgroup for ease of administration.

Is this a bug in the checking or am I seriously missing something?

JSR/