hostgroup_name in services definition halts nagios start

Jan Scholten Jan.Scholten at iconz.net
Thu Oct 7 04:35:30 CEST 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:46:43 -0400, Josiah Ritchie <jritchie at bible.edu>
wrote:

Isn't the normal comment sign the "#" ?

I use hostgroup_name in services but as far as i know you can't use both
at once so NO
define service{
..
hostgroup_name	somegroups
host_name		some additional hosts
..
}

You need one service entry with only host_name and one with
hostgroup_name, but you can use multiple grous or hosts in every of them.

Jan

> nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg results in
>
> Error: Service description, host name, or check command is NULL
> Error: Could not register service (config file
> '/etc/nagios/services.cfg',
> line 36)
>
> Line 36 and following 16 following lines:
>
> define service{
>  use                             generic-service
>
>  hostgroup_name   switches,windows-boxes,security-boxes
> ; host_name   iprism,shaper,sarah,ruth,rachel,penguin,noah
>  service_description        PING
>  is_volatile                     0
>  check_period                    24x7
>  max_check_attempts              3
>  normal_check_interval           3
>  retry_check_interval            1
>  contact_groups                  admins
>  notification_interval           120
>  notification_period             24x7
>  notification_options            w,u,c,r
>  check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
>  }
>
> It looks to me like everything is filled in. If I comment out
> hostgroup_name and uncomment host_name it works fine. I'd rather go by
> hostgroup for ease of administration.
>
> Is this a bug in the checking or am I seriously missing something?
>
> JSR/

> reporting any issue.

Jan Scholten
Research and Development Intern