Best Server?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Mon Nov 29 23:43:29 CET 2004

Jan Scholten wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I am in the glorious position to choose what kind of server should be
>bought for the monitoring server. But actually i have no Idea where to
>put stress on.
>
>I am using Nagios 1.2 to monitor about 200 Hosts and 400 Services but
>that will be alot ( maybe + 600 Services) more when everything is proper
>configured.
>
>Actually i am running Nagios on a Celeron 300 with 128 Meg under Debain
>testing, works but starts lagging (load up to 15) and webside is kinda slow.
>
>So i got the following question from purchasing guy: What sort of spec
>do you think would be appropriate? What make/model CPU? Single CPU or
>multiple? How much RAM?
>
>I believe because of the lots of spawned processes a Dual CPU would be
>fine and some RAM. What would you recommend (be realistic i don't want
>to have a Dual XXX that is idleing all the time)?
>
>I was thinking about either a small Dual System (better opteron or
>Xeon?) with around a gig of ram. Or a single AMD64 or P4 with a gig of RAM.
>
>A configured Dell Server:
>Dual Xeon 2.8, 1 Gig Ram, 2 *40 GB Raid 1 Harddisks is about 1800 Euro.
>
>a selfbuild P4 3.2 will be definitly cheaper :-)

Well, I checked ~1000 services on 70 hosts (lot's of SNMP-services
collected individually) with a P3-600/512 on FreeBSD some time ago
(first with Netsaint, then Nagios)
It had a very high load until I actived soft-updates ;-)

So I guess a Dual Xeon machine will bit more than enough.

Rainer

~     Rainer Duffner - rainer at ultra-secure.de     ~
~           Freising - Munich - Germany           ~
~    Unix - Linux - BSD - OpenSource - Security   ~
~  http://www.ultra-secure.de/~rainer/pubkey.pgp  ~