Best Server?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Nov 29 18:19:07 CET 2004

Jan Scholten wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am in the glorious position to choose what kind of server should be
> bought for the monitoring server. But actually i have no Idea where to
> put stress on.
>
> I am using Nagios 1.2 to monitor about 200 Hosts and 400 Services but
> that will be alot ( maybe + 600 Services) more when everything is proper
> configured.
>
> Actually i am running Nagios on a Celeron 300 with 128 Meg under Debain
> testing, works but starts lagging (load up to 15) and webside is kinda
> slow.
>
> So i got the following question from purchasing guy: What sort of spec
> do you think would be appropriate? What make/model CPU? Single CPU or
> multiple? How much RAM?

Put the bulk of your money on RAM and good disks. RAM to avoid swapping
(which is a real performance killer), and good disks because it will
speed up the web interface and will keep the disk crash at bay.
Preferrably a SCSI RAID system if you can manage it. It should keep the
system ticking for at least 10 years if need be.

In general, a dual CPU system with slow cpu's will get you better
performance than a single ultra-fast cpu (to a limit, ofcourse). Make
sure you use CPU's with nice, large L2 and L1 caches. This is mainly due
to the fact that Nagios does most of its work just waiting to do
something, so you'd be better of if the system caches the plugins and
stuff for you.

Make sure you compile your own kernel and skip all the unnecessary cruft
that comes with most systems by default. Use latest from 2.4-series,
it's rock solid stable. Don't install a graphical user environment. For
a server it's a waste of memory anyway.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer