services check stale

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Nov 26 00:53:22 CET 2004

Marco Borsani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have about 150 host and 400 services checked via nagios.
>
> Sometime It happens that many services "are stale by XXX seconds". In the
> same time one check_host_alive stop to work properly and goes in a CRITICAL
> state, but I can reach/ping it correctly !

Are you pinging it from the server nagios is running at? These sort of
things often happen when the network load skyrockets for a short period
of time, bringing a router or switch to its knees from which it takes a
while to recuperate.

> I don't know if both situations are related together. May someone suggest me
> which parameters I can modify to :
> 1) reduce the "stale" situations

Increase the freshness_threshold

> 2) reach/ping the hosts always correctly

Make sure your network is intact and make ICMP a prioritized protocol on
all your network equipment as well as your servers. If the problem is
related to the "offending" server being temporarily overloaded it might
not be fixable by any other means than new hardware.

You can try raising the max_check_attempts value for the host object. It
might help you avoid the problem if it's only temporary spikes.

> I tried also to set max_concurrent_checks=100 and
> use_agressive_host_checking=1 but nothing happened.

I think max_concurrent_check=0 lets nagios run as many checks as it likes.

> Please take a look of my nagios.cfg file.

Nah. I'm too busy for that. ;)

> Many thanks

You're welcome.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se