R: services check stale

Marco Borsani m.borsani at it.net
Fri Nov 26 10:06:33 CET 2004

-}Marco Borsani wrote:
-}> Hi,
-}>
-}> I have about 150 host and 400 services checked via nagios.
-}>
-}> Sometime It happens that many services "are stale by XXX
-}seconds". In the
-}> same time one check_host_alive stop to work properly and goes
-}in a CRITICAL
-}> state, but I can reach/ping it correctly !
-}>
-}
-}Are you pinging it from the server nagios is running at? These sort of
-}things often happen when the network load skyrockets for a short period
-}of time, bringing a router or switch to its knees from which it takes a
-}while to recuperate.

Yes, I ping that host in the same moment in which nagios do it and from the
server nagios is running at. I don't understand how it can be possible
receive a "Socket timeot" in Nagios check_ping and pinging correctly from
the command line!

-}> I don't know if both situations are related together. May
-}someone suggest me
-}> which parameters I can modify to :
-}> 1) reduce the "stale" situations
-}
-}Increase the freshness_threshold
-}
-}> 2) reach/ping the hosts always correctly
-}>
-}
-}Make sure your network is intact and make ICMP a prioritized protocol on
-}all your network equipment as well as your servers. If the problem is
-}related to the "offending" server being temporarily overloaded it might
-}not be fixable by any other means than new hardware.
-}
-}You can try raising the max_check_attempts value for the host object. It
-}might help you avoid the problem if it's only temporary spikes.

Raising max_check_attempts value it can be done from a set of known
hosts...but I have this problem with different hosts, often not the same
one. I'd solve the problem more generally.

-}> I tried also to set max_concurrent_checks=100 and
-}> use_agressive_host_checking=1 but nothing happened.
-}>
-}
-}I think max_concurrent_check=0 lets nagios run as many checks as it likes.
-}
-}> Please take a look of my nagios.cfg file.
-}>
-}
-}Nah. I'm too busy for that. ;)

It is not so long .... ;))