scheduled downtime

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Nov 26 00:48:30 CET 2004

Sipos Ferenc wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> is there a way to schedule periodical downtime for a certain service of
> a certain host?
>
> an example:
> i have mysql running on one of my servers. i backup the database every
> night at 22.00, which approximately takes an hour, so the service goes
> down for an hour from 22.00 to 23.00 every day.

For this particular example you could just create a new timeperiod
excluding the hours above and setting that to be the check_period of
this service.

> how can i schedule a downtime described above on my nagios web interface
> (or a command line solution would be preferable)?

Read the documentation on external commands and do 'man 5 crontab' and
'man crontab' on your system. A clever script should be able to read a
rather large list of hosts and services and schedule them all.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer