NSCA for Windows

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Wed Nov 24 04:34:45 CET 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 02:22:40PM +1300, Jan Scholten wrote:
> Great i find solutions by myself.
> I need a [tab] not a \t so if i
> C:\Program Files\nsca>echo "Testpix    TRAP    1       WindowsNSCATest"
> | send_nsca -H XX.XXX.XXX.XXX -c "c:\program files\nsca\send_nsca.cfg"
> 1 data packet(s) sent to host successfully.
>
> Works, but how do i create a Tab

Depends on how you're writing the string.  In most programming
languages, \t gives you a tab.  You might also want to check if
the Windows version supports the -d parameter to specify the
delimiter, e.g.

echo "Testpix;TRAP;1;WinNSCATest" | send_nsca -H foo -c foo.cfg -d ;

> and what checks can i use ? NSClient is fine, is there a possibility
> to send Output of NSClient as NSCA? i normally only use it with
> check_nt, but these hosts are standing in a secured subnet, where
> inbound traffic ist not allowed (from my box).

You'd have to create your own Check_NT type utility to check the host,
or find a precompiled binary. Then create a wrapper around it that sends
the output in an appropriately formatted manner to send_nsca.

Depending on the checks you want to run, it might be easier just to
create your own checks rather than create a way to talk to pNSClient.

Another possibility is to put another box running Nagios in to the
secured subnet, and have it run the checks and feed the results back
to your main Nagios using send_nsca with the obsessive-compulsive
service check command.