NSCA for Windows

Jan Scholten Jan.Scholten at iconz.net
Wed Nov 24 05:05:32 CET 2004

> Depends on how you're writing the string.  In most programming
> languages, \t gives you a tab.  You might also want to check if
> the Windows version supports the -d parameter to specify the
> delimiter, e.g.

> echo "Testpix;TRAP;1;WinNSCATest" | send_nsca -H foo -c foo.cfg -d ;
>

>>and what checks can i use ? NSClient is fine, is there a possibility
>>to send Output of NSClient as NSCA? i normally only use it with
>>check_nt, but these hosts are standing in a secured subnet, where
>>inbound traffic ist not allowed (from my box).
>

> You'd have to create your own Check_NT type utility to check the host,
> or find a precompiled binary. Then create a wrapper around it that sends
> the output in an appropriately formatted manner to send_nsca.
Ohh create your own sounds like a NoNo :-) creating a wrapper is not the
big problem.

> Depending on the checks you want to run, it might be easier just to
> create your own checks rather than create a way to talk to pNSClient.

Just the standard checks. Like Disk, CPU, Mem, Performance Counter could
be fine, too.

> Another possibility is to put another box running Nagios in to the
> secured subnet, and have it run the checks and feed the results back
> to your main Nagios using send_nsca with the obsessive-compulsive
> service check command.
Since every machine in the subnet is a windows box and i can't deploy
another server for that (only 3 or 4 hosts) i hope that somebody has a
Windows talks to NSCLient utility..