Some things don't work

jeff vier boinger at tradingtechnologies.com
Tue Nov 23 20:28:51 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 13:05 -0600, Dimitri Yioulos wrote:

>      1. Both Current Users and Total Processes are reported as the
>         same for all machines (e.g. 0 Current Users, 43 Total
>         Processes).  Why, and how do I fix?

Are you sure you not just checking the local box?
check_users only checks the local server.
same with check_procs
we use nrpe to check remote servers, but there are other ways.

>      1. Only some of the partitions on various machines report Disk
>         Free Space.  The remaining partitions report “UNKNOWN”.  Why,
>         and how do I fix?

That's too little information to extrapolate from.

>      1. Three machines have IDE hard drives.  The Disk Free Space on
>         all of the partitions  (e.g. /dev/hda2, etc.) on these
>         machines report “UNKNOWN”.  How do I monitor the IDE drives?

That should be immaterial.

>      1. One of the printers that I monitor is actually a Konica copier
>         with print capability.  Printer Status for this device reports
>         a status of “Critical”.  In looking at the services.cfg file,
>         I notice that the check_command is “check_hpjd”, which would
>         lend me to believe that this has something to do with HP.  How
>         do I monitor the status of the Konica?

./check_hpjd --help

>      1. I understand what to specify in services.cfg to monitor the
>         Free Disk Space of the disks on the Linux boxes (although, as
>         mentioned above, my results aren’t complete.  How do I
>         designate the disks for the Windows machines?

We use check_nt which relies on NSClient running on the target.