Some things don't work

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Tue Nov 23 20:47:41 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 13:05 -0600, Dimitri Yioulos wrote:

>      1. Both Current Users and Total Processes are reported as the

>         same for all machines (e.g. 0 Current Users, 43 Total

>         Processes).  Why, and how do I fix?

Are you sure you not just checking the local box?

check_users only checks the local server.

same with check_procs

we use nrpe to check remote servers, but there are other ways.

>      1. Only some of the partitions on various machines report Disk

>         Free Space.  The remaining partitions report “UNKNOWN”.  Why,

>         and how do I fix?

That's too little information to extrapolate from.

>      1. Three machines have IDE hard drives.  The Disk Free Space on

>         all of the partitions  (e.g. /dev/hda2, etc.) on these

>         machines report “UNKNOWN”.  How do I monitor the IDE drives?

That should be immaterial.

>      1. One of the printers that I monitor is actually a Konica copier

>         with print capability.  Printer Status for this device reports

>         a status of “Critical”.  In looking at the services.cfg file,

>         I notice that the check_command is “check_hpjd”, which would

>         lend me to believe that this has something to do with HP.  How

>         do I monitor the status of the Konica?

./check_hpjd --help

>      1. I understand what to specify in services.cfg to monitor the

>         Free Disk Space of the disks on the Linux boxes (although, as

>         mentioned above, my results aren’t complete.  How do I

>         designate the disks for the Windows machines?

We use check_nt which relies on NSClient running on the target.

Jeff,

Thanks for the quick response.

I think I am looking at the local box vis-à-vis Current Users and Total
Processes.  My bad, I guess, in not setting up and using nrpe and nsclient;
I’ll try those.

I don’t know why the IDE drives aren’t being reported.  As to the SCSI
drives, each partition for each machine is defined in services.cfg.  For
example, for one machine I’ve deifined /dev/sda2, /dev/sda3, /dev/sda5,
/dev/sdb1, and /dev/sdc1.  Only /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb1 are reported
correctly.  I’ve checked services.cfg for errors, but there are none.

Sure enough, “check_hpjd –help” confirms that “This plugin tests the STATUS
of an HP printer with a JetDirect card.”  Any ideas about how I can monitor
the status of the Konica?

Dimitri