Problem with socket timeouts.

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Nov 15 00:46:54 CET 2004

Dru wrote:
> I changed it to 50 seconds and it still timed out.

This sounds like a firewall issue. You realise you need to open up all
the firewalls for the checks to run through, right?

> I tried installing
> from source and redid all the .cfg files and I got the same problem with
> socket time outs.

Shouldn't matter. What does nmap tell you about tcp connectivity?

>  If it fails to run the plugin in some way does it
> generate a socket time out error?

Only if it hangs forever waiting for a response. If the other end drops
the packets completely that is exactly what happens (hence 'socket
timeout').

> is there anyway to enable more
> debugging so i can get a lot more details on the error and how it called
> check_smtp etc?

Not that I know of, know. A few of the plugins support the -d option to
turn on debug output. Run them manually with -h and see.

> Big brother seems to work fine with smtp etc.

Is it running on the same machine? What happens if you set the big
brother box to have the IP of the Nagios can?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer