Problem with socket timeouts.

Dru andru at treshna.com
Mon Nov 15 04:27:03 CET 2004

Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Dru wrote:
>
>> I changed it to 50 seconds and it still timed out.
>

> This sounds like a firewall issue. You realise you need to open up all
> the firewalls for the checks to run through, right?

There is a firewall but its outside the network. I am just trying to
mointor servers running on the local machine. It could
be passing the wrong $HOST in possible.  Is there a way to get the $HOST
details? It'll be great if the website outputted the full
debugging output from running the plugin. Like execting plugin
$fullpath/$pluginname -H $host etc so i know exactly why its screwing
up.   Does anyone thats work on nagios code know if this is easy to
enable in regard to logging?

I saw other people having issues on google but they said they recompiled
from source and problem went away. I just dont get it.

>> I tried installing from source and redid all the .cfg files and I got
>> the same problem with socket time outs.
>

> Shouldn't matter. What does nmap tell you about tcp connectivity?

Port       State       Service
9/tcp      open        discard
13/tcp     open        daytime
21/tcp     open        ftp
22/tcp     open        ssh
23/tcp     open        telnet
25/tcp     open        smtp
37/tcp     open        time
53/tcp     open        domain
79/tcp     open        finger
80/tcp     open        http
110/tcp    open        pop-3
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
143/tcp    open        imap2
615/tcp    open        unknown
783/tcp    open        hp-alarm-mgr
811/tcp    open        unknown
993/tcp    open        imaps
2401/tcp   open        cvspserver
3306/tcp   open        mysql
5432/tcp   open        postgres

>>  If it fails to run the plugin in some way does it generate a socket
>> time out error?
>

> Only if it hangs forever waiting for a response. If the other end
> drops the packets completely that is exactly what happens (hence
> 'socket timeout').

If I run the plugins seperately it seems to work fine. Its only from
within nagios.

Could something configured wrong in hosts or services cause this to
happen? I've tried ssh, pop3, smtp and http and they all timeout with
socket errors.
The weird thing is ping and disk work perfectly. Its only socket based
stuff that isnt working.

>> is there anyway to enable more debugging so i can get a lot more
>> details on the error and how it called check_smtp etc?
>>

> Not that I know of, know. A few of the plugins support the -d option
> to turn on debug output. Run them manually with -h and see.

I had a look at the source code and re-compiling I think i can turn more
debugging options on but thats just in the nagios server not in the
individual plugins.

>> Big brother seems to work fine with smtp etc.
>>

> Is it running on the same machine? What happens if you set the big
> brother box to have the IP of the Nagios can?

It was running on same machine orginally. I thought it might be
something wrong with the machine or something as to why its not working.
It was running debian stable on that machine (so very old libraries). So
i installed onto a debian testing machine and had exactly the same
problem.  Tried installing from source instead of debian packages, same
problems again. I've redone config files serval times as well.
I could try rm -rf the current installation and try and re-install from
scratch again. I dont know if it will work though.  Is there some
magical debian package you need in order for socket stuff to work properly?