Problem with socket timeouts.

Dru andru at treshna.com
Sat Nov 13 02:59:12 CET 2004

I've been trying for the last few days to get this working but i keep
getting Socket timeout after 10 seconds for any of the service checks
that use sockets.  I use debian sarge and have tried re-compiling
plugins but that hasn't work. If i run the individual plugins they
execute fine without problems.  My command.cfg file is fine, and it
seems to give this error message for every type of scoket based check.
Is there anyway to go get this working so it actually works?

I'm using nagios-pgsql. Here are some of the config file extracts

from checkcommmand.cfg

# 'check_smtp' command definition
define command{
       command_name    check_smtp
       command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_smtp -H $HOSTADDRESS$
       }

service.cfg

# localhost smtp
define service{
host_name                       michael
       service_description             SMTP
       is_volatile                     0
       check_period                    24x7
       max_check_attempts              3
       normal_check_interval           1
       retry_check_interval            1
       contact_groups                  treshna
       notification_interval           120
       notification_period             24x7
       notification_options            w,u,c,r
       check_command                   check_smtp
       }

Does anyone else run debian and have it working? Is there something real
special to get it not to do a socket timeout like that? i tried changing
the DEFAULT_SOCKET timeout in common.h but that had no effect