check-host-alive returns /bin/ping -n -U -c 1 192.168.231.7

Russ Hubbard russ.hubbard at lsil.com
Tue May 25 16:56:29 CEST 2004

Hello,
   Last night I encountered some check-host-alive commands that are
returning some weird information. They return "/bin/ping -n -U -c 1
192.168.231.7" as the output and mark the host as down.  I've gone
through the list archives and mostly I found that this can be caused by
/bin/ping not having permissions of 4755. I have checked this, here is
the verification:

-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root        28724 Sep 11  2003 /bin/ping

I am currently running Nagios 1.2. I have been running nagios for about
a year and this is the first occurance of this problem I have had. I
have had a few outages in that time and they all return the appropriate
status information. Here is an example:

PING CRITICAL - Host Unreachable (172.21.35.28)

Here is my check-host-alive command from checkcommand.cfg:

# 'check-host-alive' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check-host-alive
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w
3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 1
        }

Any help at all in fixing this problem would be great.

Thanks,

Russ