Has anyone looked into the product by www.hype ric.com before?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue May 25 13:59:11 CEST 2004

Ben Clewett wrote:
> Ton & Others,
>
> Sorry, I checked, you are right.  You *can* change for GPL software.
> However the source code must be available, and therefore the product is
> also free.  As Bernd said, 'if you find a customer is another question'.

Finding customers is really, really easy. We've been selling it for
about a year and a half, and now we're up to about 35 customers.

> What I really meant therefore was:  You can't *force* people to pay for
> GPL code.  Accept for model MySQL have adopted.

No, but you can force them to pay for a packaged *solution* of
opensource products. We integrate nagios with cacti and a bunch of other
utilities and tools, and customers are delighted that we have taken the
month or two to package everything for them. We also have an
auto-configuration tool which enables us to set them up and running in
absolutely notime. If they were to implement everything themselves, it
would take the better time of a year.

> As you say, if they don't fork the code, this would be great.  There
> must be a large number of corporate companies who would respect Nagios
> more if a commercial support license and support was available.

That's what you're supposed to sell, and what a number of companies are
selling. Check out nagios.org for a list of many of them.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB
andreas.ericsson at op5.se