Tool for centralised deployment of NRPE configs

Hugh Jones hugh.jones at eduserv.org.uk
Fri May 14 10:55:10 CEST 2004

> Morning all,
>
> Is anyone aware of a solution to the problem of managing multiple
config
> files across an NRPE monitored network? The number of devices
> we support is growing rapidly and it would be most beneficial to have
an
> 'Enterprise'style config management tool kit to push configs and
config
> updates to the remote devices. With out this solution large network
config
> changes are certainly going to become something of a time drain + the
current
> requirement to login, edit, and restart the daemon is very clunky .
>
> I have been considering this for some time, and wondered if  this
already
> exits in some form, or how others get around this issue?  Otherwise I
intend
> to look at developing such a tool kit.

We tend to break down the architecture into different config files based
on the client name; and as we have 2 nagios servers, we have a script
that when run does a reload on the "master" server, and if it restarts
sucessfully, scp's the config files to the other server. Not quite
"Enterprise Management", but for us it's the next best thing and works
well.