Availability comparison of Win$ and Unix/Linux hosts [OT ?]

Thomas Schimpke schimpke at lenze.de
Fri May 14 08:19:10 CEST 2004

Hello,

I've a little problem finding some data for a paper I've to write and I
guess, that at lest some of you can provide the data I'm seeking.

I've to write a paper about the estimation of the availability of Win$
machines in comparison to Unix/Linux machines. I was not able to find
any data published on the net and my nagios setup is obviously broken
with respect of generating the necessary availability reports.

Could someone please provide me with some data ? What I need is the host
availability over (say) a three month period (perhaps the downtimes
separated into planned/unplanned) for some Win$ & Unix machines.

If you are monitoring the availability of Oracle and SQL Server
instances also, these data would be nice to have also.

The background is, that my company likes to set up a traceability system
for some electronic production lines. If the traceability system fails,
the production will simply stop until the traceability system comes back
to life.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Thomas
--
Man sagt, wenn man die Windows-CD rückwärts abspielt, hört man
Botschaften von Satan. Aber das ist noch gar nichts. Wenn man sie